The main purpose of the programme is to stimulate and facilitate the development of innovation systems and innovative clusters in Eastern Africa.
The objectives of the programme are:
- To facilitate and enhance innovativeness among firms and farms
- To facilitate enhance competition and cooperation among firms and farms within clusters and sectors.
- To nurture a competitive mindset amongst the cluster members.
The key expected outputs
- A network of capable individuals interested in innovation systems and clusters formed
- Innovation systems and clusters identified and characterized for possible in-depth study (mapping of clusters and innovation systems)
- In-depth study of selected clusters and innovation systems carried out, including:
- Assessment of extent to which they are innovative and bottlenecks for growth.
- Determination of mechanisms that will make innovation systems and clusters in the various sectors stronger and sustainable.
- Consolidation of potentially innovative clusters stimulated
- Innovativeness of firms and farms within pilot existing and new clusters and innovation systems stimulated
- Various advocacy initiatives implemented
- Short and long-term training in innovations and innovation systems and clusters established
- National Steering Committees (NSC), National Coordinating Offices and a cluster development monitoring system established.