President Museveni Launches Monitoring Mechanism for Parish Development Model Funds

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has introduced a monitoring mechanism to oversee Parish Development Model (PDM) funds, aiming to eliminate systemic errors.

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has initiated a monitoring mechanism for Parish Development Model (PDM) funds in order to eradicate systemic errors.

Mr. Moses Byaruhanga, Senior Presidential Advisor on Political Mobilisation, made the revelation yesterday, April 29th, 2024, during the commencement of the monitoring process at Bunnya Foundation Primary School, P.W.D village, Luwero Town Council in Luwero District.

While addressing the audience, Mr. Byaruhanga stated that the National Resistance Movement (NRM) government has launched various programs to help Ugandans; however, some have encountered challenges that the government has overcome or plans to address.

“In January 1997, Universal Primary Education (UPE) was launched, and in February 2007, Universal Secondary Education (USE) was established. The beneficiaries began to grumble about the fees levied by the school heads. When we questioned the school administrators, they stated that they do not have enough teachers, so they outsource certain teachers who are paid with money obtained from parents. However, the government is still looking into the problem,” the Senior Presidential Advisor stated.

“In 2001, the National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS) was established to address the country’s rural poor farmers’ lack of access to agricultural information, knowledge, and improved technology. However, the initiative did reach a few people. And on February 26, 2022, the President launched PDM as a plan to improve service delivery and relieve poverty at the grassroots level. However, there are some issues that need to be addressed,” stated Mr. Byaruhanga.

He further stated that the President has nominated Hajjat Mariam Namayanja Kiwanuka as a Special Presidential Assistant to oversee PDM funding.

Mr. Byaruhanga further stated that a beneficiary can get up to Shs1 million in PDM money during a two-year period. He also stated that the money is not returned to the government, but rather remains in the Parish SACCO.

Mr. Byaruhanga assured anyone who squander government resources that they will be detained and punished with in accordance with the country’s laws.

The warning occurred when Mr. Richard Bwabye, the Luwero Resident District Commissioner (RDC), expressed worry about the misbehavior of some government personnel involved in obtaining PDM money from recipients. Mr. Bwabye further revealed that he had collected a total of Shs61 million and was still looking for more suspects to be detained and charged.

On the issue of money lenders obtaining National Identity Cards from borrowers as collateral, Mr. Byaruhanga instructed the RDC to ensure that the IDs are returned to the owners because they are government property.

He stated that the President directed the Attorney General, Hon. Kiryowa Kiwanuka, to enact legislation prohibiting money lenders from utilizing National IDs as collateral security.

On the other hand, Mr. Byaruhanga urged Luwero lawmakers to work with citizens to resolve the area’s recurrent land disputes.

During the occasion, Mr. Walulya Josephus Mukasa, the PDM coordinator in Luwero subcounty, informed that there are a total of 1,156 beneficiaries, including 551 males and 605 females.

He stated that the beneficiaries have emphasized the agricultural sector, which includes growing maize, beans, vegetables, coffee, Matooke, and raising cattle, chickens, pigs and goats.

Walubya further stated that 70% of the PDM money has been well used in the sub-county, however the other 30% has concerns since beneficiaries have diverted it to other purposes, such as paying school fees for their children.

Hajjat Mariam Namayanja Kiwanuka, the Special Assistant to the President, outlined to the audience her duty as the officer in charge of overseeing PDM money across the country.

Mr. Richard Ssimbwa, the LCIII Chairperson for Luwero subcounty, complained about parish leaders extorting money from beneficiaries. He described how parish heads delete the names of the correct beneficiaries from the system and replace them with the identities of individuals who bribed them, jeopardizing the success of the PDM program.

He finished by commending the President for establishing the program and assigning Hajjat Namayanja to oversee it.

Mr. Ronald Ndawula, the NRM Chairperson for Luwero district, praised the government for implementing the PDM, a project intended at eliminating poverty in Uganda.

He also advised the citizens that now that they live in a peaceful country, they should vote wisely the next time.

Related Events